Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center
9444 Medical Center Dr MC 7411
La Jolla, CA 92037
Dr. Pam Taub is a general cardiologist and Associate Professor of medicine at UC San Diego. She is the director of the Hannah and Gene Step Cardiac Wellness and Rehabilitation Center that will be located in the new UC San Diego Jacobs Medical Center opening in 2016. The mission of the Center is to actively engage patients and the community in prevention of cardiovascular disease. In addition to having a comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation program for patients with established cardiac disease, the Center will provide evidence-based therapies and classes that will focus on disease prevention. The Center will be conducting research on biomarkers and other diagnostics, wearable/mobile technologies and various therapies that can improve patient outcomes.
Dr. Taub's clinical practice focuses on preventive cardiology. She takes an evidence-based approach to care that is tailored to the individual patient, with the goal of minimizing medications and procedures. She actively collaborates with other specialists in providing cardiac care for the complex patient with multi-system disease.
1. Barnett CF, Moreno-Ulloa A, Shiva S, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Taub PR, Su Y, Ceballos G, Dugar S, Schreiner G, Villarreal F. Pharmacokinetic, partial pharmacodynamic and initial safety analysis of (-)-epicatechin in healthy volunteers. Food Funct. 2015 Mar 11; 6(3):824-33.
2. Shah KS, Taub P, Patel M, Rehfeldt M, Struck J, Clopton P, Mehta RL, Maisel AS. Proenkephalin predicts acute kidney injury in cardiac surgery patients. Clin Nephrol. 2015 Jan; 83(1):29-35.
3. Ortiz-Vilchis P, Yamazaki KG, Rubio-Gayosso I, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Calzada C, Romero-Perez D, Ortiz A, Meaney E, Taub P, Villarreal F, Ceballos G. Co-administration of the flavanol (-)-epicatechin with doxycycline synergistically reduces infarct size in a model of ischemia reperfusion injury by inhibition of mitochondrial swelling. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014 Dec 5; 744:76-82.
4. Tokman S, Barnett CF, Jarlsberg LG, Taub PR, den Boon S, Davis JL, Cattamanchi A, Worodria W, Maisel A, Huang L. Procalcitonin predicts mortality in HIV-infected Ugandan adults with lower respiratory tract infections. Respirology. 2014 Apr; 19(3):382-8.
5. Gutierrez-Salmean G, Ciaraldi TP, Nogueira L, Barboza J, Taub PR, Hogan MC, Henry RR, Meaney E, Villarreal F, Ceballos G, Ramirez-Sanchez I. Effects of (-)-epicatechin on molecular modulators of skeletal muscle growth and differentiation. J Nutr Biochem. 2014 Jan; 25(1):91-4.
6. Taub PR, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Ciaraldi TP, Gonzalez-Basurto S, Coral-Vazquez R, Perkins G, Hogan M, Maisel AS, Henry RR, Ceballos G, Villarreal F. Perturbations in skeletal muscle sarcomere structure in patients with heart failure and type 2 diabetes: restorative effects of (-)-epicatechin-rich cocoa. Clin Sci (Lond). 2013 Oct; 125(8):383-9.
7. Xue Y, Taub P, Iqbal N, Fard A, Clopton P, Maisel A. Mid-region pro-adrenomedullin adds predictive value to clinical predictors and Framingham risk score for long-term mortality in stable outpatients with heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2013 Dec; 15(12):1343-9.
8. Ramirez-Sanchez I, Taub PR, Ciaraldi TP, Nogueira L, Coe T, Perkins G, Hogan M, Maisel AS, Henry RR, Ceballos G, Villarreal F. (-)-Epicatechin rich cocoa mediated modulation of oxidative stress regulators in skeletal muscle of heart failure and type 2 diabetes patients. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Oct 9; 168(4):3982-90.
9. Maisel A, Barnard D, Jaski B, Frivold G, Marais J, Azer M, Miyamoto MI, Lombardo D, Kelsay D, Borden K, Iqbal N, Taub PR, Kupfer K, Clopton P, Greenberg B. Primary results of the HABIT Trial (heart failure assessment with BNP in the home). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Apr 23; 61(16):1726-35.
10. Taub PR, Higginbotham E, Henry RR. Beneficial and detrimental effects of glycemic control on cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2013 Feb; 15(2):332.
11. Wentworth BA, Stein MB, Redwine LS, Xue Y, Taub PR, Clopton P, Nayak KR, Maisel AS. Post-traumatic stress disorder: a fast track to premature cardiovascular disease? Cardiol Rev. 2013 Jan-Feb; 21(1):16-22.
12. Prasain JK, Arabshahi A, Taub PR, Sweeney S, Moore R, Sharer JD, Barnes S. Simultaneous quantification of F2-isoprostanes and prostaglandins in human urine by liquid chromatography tandem-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2013 Jan 15; 913-914:161-8.
13. Ramirez-Sanchez I, Nogueira L, Moreno A, Murphy A, Taub P, Perkins G, Ceballos GM, Hogan M, Malek M, Villarreal F. Stimulatory effects of the flavanol (-)-epicatechin on cardiac angiogenesis: additive effects with exercise. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2012 Nov; 60(5):429-38.
14. Taub PR, Borden KC, Fard A, Maisel A. Role of biomarkers in the diagnosis and prognosis of acute kidney injury in patients with cardiorenal syndrome. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2012 May; 10(5):657-67.
15. Xue Y, Taub PR, Iqbal N, Fard A, Wentworth B, Redwine L, Clopton P, Stein M, Maisel A. Cardiac biomarkers, mortality, and post-traumatic stress disorder in military veterans. Am J Cardiol. 2012 Apr 15; 109(8):1215-8.
16. Taub PR, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Ciaraldi TP, Perkins G, Murphy AN, Naviaux R, Hogan M, Maisel AS, Henry RR, Ceballos G, Villarreal F. Alterations in skeletal muscle indicators of mitochondrial structure and biogenesis in patients with type 2 diabetes and heart failure: effects of epicatechin rich cocoa. Clin Transl Sci. 2012 Feb; 5(1):43-7.
17. Taub PR, Fields JD, Wu AH, Miss JC, Lawton MT, Smith WS, Young WL, Zaroff JG, Ko NU. Elevated BNP is associated with vasospasm-independent cerebral infarction following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care. 2011 Aug; 15(1):13-8.
18. Nogueira L, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Perkins GA, Murphy A, Taub PR, Ceballos G, Villarreal FJ, Hogan MC, Malek MH. (-)-Epicatechin enhances fatigue resistance and oxidative capacity in mouse muscle. J Physiol. 2011 Sep 15; 589(Pt 18):4615-31.
19. Xue Y, Taub PR, Fard A, Maisel AS. Hypervolemic and optivolemic natriuretic peptides in acute heart failure. Contrib Nephrol. 2011; 171:74-9.
20. Taub PR, Gabbai-Saldate P, Maisel A. Biomarkers of heart failure. Congest Heart Fail. 2010 Jul; 16 Suppl 1:S19-24.
21. Yamazaki KG, Taub PR, Barraza-Hidalgo M, Rivas MM, Zambon AC, Ceballos G, Villarreal FJ. Effects of (-)-epicatechin on myocardial infarct size and left ventricular remodeling after permanent coronary occlusion. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Jun 22; 55(25):2869-76.
22. Taub PR, Daniels LB, Maisel AS. Usefulness of B-type natriuretic peptide levels in predicting hemodynamic and clinical decompensation. Heart Fail Clin. 2009 Apr; 5(2):169-75.
Official Web Site of the University of California, San Diego.